Miscalculated

I was so excited that my largest mold boards fit Elsie’s length that I completely overlooked the other important factor: depth. Mold boards have to be deep enough to box the mold twice over, because the first side forms the bottom for pouring the second side. As can be seen in the picture above, the first side pretty much fills the depth of my mold boards. Ooops. Not sure how I missed that, but I sure did!

Obviously I am going to need some deeper mold boards after all, but I wasn’t willing to wait for them so I had to find a temporary fix. My husband claims that the universal solution is duct tape, but I think in the studio it is Legos. Here I’ve built a platform around the bottom of the first side to raise the mold boards.

The platform lifted the boards to a more workable height, and proved more solid than I expected. It didn’t need to be tremendously stable since I’ve been doing on my pouring for this one on the floor, but it was sturdy enough to pick up and move without breaking the seals on the clayed-up areas.

So now it’s 8 more pounds of rubber (give or take) and I’ll be ready to pour the inside pieces!

, , ,

2 Responses to Miscalculated

  1. Lynn A. Fraley September 23, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

    Good fix! But otherwise the mold is looking great.

  2. Lesli Kathman September 23, 2010 at 11:36 pm #

    Thank you, Lynn! You have no idea how many times I have blessed Barry for turning me on to the usefulness of Legos.

Leave a Reply