Tag Archives | Legos

Miscalculated

I was so excited that my largest mold boards fit Elsie’s length that I completely overlooked the other important factor: depth. Mold boards have to be deep enough to box the mold twice over, because the first side forms the bottom for pouring the second side. As can be seen in the picture above, the first side pretty much fills the depth of my mold boards. Ooops. Not sure how I missed that, but I sure did!

Obviously I am going to need some deeper mold boards after all, but I wasn’t willing to wait for them so I had to find a temporary fix. My husband claims that the universal solution is duct tape, but I think in the studio it is Legos. Here I’ve built a platform around the bottom of the first side to raise the mold boards.

The platform lifted the boards to a more workable height, and proved more solid than I expected. It didn’t need to be tremendously stable since I’ve been doing on my pouring for this one on the floor, but it was sturdy enough to pick up and move without breaking the seals on the clayed-up areas.

So now it’s 8 more pounds of rubber (give or take) and I’ll be ready to pour the inside pieces!

Continue Reading

Unusual shapes

There was no question that I would need to cast Elsie’s tail separately. What I hoped was that once I cut it free from the sculpture, I could find some kind of angle that would simplify the shape for mold-making. As it turns out, there wasn’t a magic angle. It was a shape that didn’t work well from any angle, and I was stumped about where to draw the mold lines.

I finally decided that I’d clay up one side, pour the first side piece and figure out what to do from there. I had high hopes that the planes would suddenly make sense once one was covered, but I also knew that I had rapidly degenerating rubber components. Polyurethane prepolymer (rubber Part A) degrades after it has been exposed to air, so I needed to use what I had left quickly. Experimenting seemed like a good idea.

The process did work, though there really wasn’t a simple answer. The strands of the tail move in too many directions for anything but a fairly complex mold. Right now I think it will be a five piece mold, though the area that fits inside the bend may work better broken from the rest of that piece. That’s five, possibly six, pieces and we haven’t made it to the body yet!

Meanwhile Oliver’s two production molds are about half-dry. I am dying to test them.

Continue Reading