Tag Archives | master molds

Wrapped in plastic!

Becky Turner commented in the previous post about the foil saving clean-up time. I was so pleased with this side benefit to my clay-saving tactic that I decided to try something similar with the inner pieces. This is a picture of Elsie before I formed the inner pieces with clay. I used plastic wrap to line the inside of her belly and legs, then added the clay on top.

When the piece I poured this morning – the second large side – cures, I will have to remove the clay placeholders. It is best if that can be done without breaking the seal on the two side pieces, but that can be impossible when soft clay is stuck to all the detailed bits under the belly. My hope is that by lining some of that area with the plastic, I can pull it free more easily and leave less of a mess. Tomorrow I’ll get to see if it worked.

Continue Reading


I was so excited that my largest mold boards fit Elsie’s length that I completely overlooked the other important factor: depth. Mold boards have to be deep enough to box the mold twice over, because the first side forms the bottom for pouring the second side. As can be seen in the picture above, the first side pretty much fills the depth of my mold boards. Ooops. Not sure how I missed that, but I sure did!

Obviously I am going to need some deeper mold boards after all, but I wasn’t willing to wait for them so I had to find a temporary fix. My husband claims that the universal solution is duct tape, but I think in the studio it is Legos. Here I’ve built a platform around the bottom of the first side to raise the mold boards.

The platform lifted the boards to a more workable height, and proved more solid than I expected. It didn’t need to be tremendously stable since I’ve been doing on my pouring for this one on the floor, but it was sturdy enough to pick up and move without breaking the seals on the clayed-up areas.

So now it’s 8 more pounds of rubber (give or take) and I’ll be ready to pour the inside pieces!

Continue Reading